|A cell infected with HIV. Infecting HIV particles are shown in orange, the cellular DNA is blue, and cellular microtubules green (image from P. McKenna and F. Bushman).|
The HIV replication cycle: a web-based interactive account
This review presents the steps of HIV replication in cells, taking advantage of web-based tools to allow each reader to chart their own course through the material. The article can be read from start to finish as a conventional review article, but this is only one possibility. Each molecule name is linked to detailed information on that molecule, so readers can diverge to learn more about molecules of interest by clicking on the name. Structures of several molecules or complexes are shown in embedded movies, allowing readers to look over the molecular players in three dimensions. A window allows readers to "surf" the human genome to observe hot and cold spots for HIV integration. References are linked to the primary literature, so clicking on the citation calls up the PubMed entry, allowing readers to diverge into the primary literature at many points. For more detailed accounts of each step of the replication cycle, see the recent book "HIV: from biology to prevention and treatment". from the Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives series. For additional reviews emphasizing older literature see (Varmus et al. 1989 , Coffin et al. 1996, Coffin et al. 1997 ). This introduction focuses on HIV infection at the cellular level. Reviews of infection in the full context of the primate host and the world-wide epidemic can be found in "HIV: from biology to prevention and treatment" and literature cited therein. 
- Bushman FD. 2001. Lateral DNA Transfer: Mechanisms and Consequences. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
- Varmus HE, Brown PO, Berg DE, Howe MM. 1989. Retroviruses. in Mobile DNA, pp. 53-108. Am. Soc. Microbiol., Washington.
- Coffin JM, Fields BN, Knipe DM, Howley RM. 1996. Retroviridae: The Viruses and Their Replication. in Virology, pp. 1767-1848. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia.
- Coffin JM, Hughes SH, Varmus HE. 1997. Retroviruses. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor.
- Bushman FD, Nabel GJ, Swanstrom R. 2012. HIV From Biology to Prevention to Treatment. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor.